The showcase is an opportunity for UCSB alumni, students, local community members and business professionals to engage in a morning of professional development and networking. The event features industry breakout sessions on technology, entrepreneurship, finance, and education, and a keynote speaker.
10:00am - 11:15am
• Tech - Board Room
“Learning to Work with Intelligent Machines” - Dr. Matt Beane, UCSB Technology Management Program
◦ How are we adapting to intelligent machines as artificial intelligence becomes more important in the workplace? In industries ranging from investment banking to surgery, tools are getting more sophisticated but workers get fewer opportunities for hands-on learning - the very experience necessary to leverage these tools. How can organizations stop blocking learning on the job?
◦ Dr. Matt Beane is an Assistant Professor in the Technology Management Program at UCSB and a Research Affiliate with MIT's Insitute for the Digital Economy. Matt studies deviance in work involving machine intelligence - and specifically robotics. Matt has done extensive field research on robotic surgery, robotic materials transport, and robotic telepresence in healthcare and elder care.
• Finance - Living Room
11:30am - 12:45pm
• Entrepreneurship - Board Room
“Gaucho Grown and Green” - Randy Modos ‘01 - PayJunction and Christina Ramirez ‘08 - PLUS ULTRA
◦ What do payment processing and toothbrushes have in common? Meet two UCSB entrepreneurs taking on a slice of the environment in very unique ways: PayJunction, a pioneer in green payment technology and PLUS ULTRA, encouraging you to brush consciously!
◦ Randy Modos is the President and a Founder of PayJunction, a company building innovative technology to streamline businesses' payment processing. Randy met the co-founders of PayJunction at UCSB while pursuing his Bachelor of Science in Computer Science. Together, these UCSB Gauchos took an inspired idea and grew it into a company that processes over $4 billion annually.
◦ Christina Ramirez is the Founder and CEO of PLUS ULTRA, a startup addressing the global plastic pollution crisis with its eco-friendly, non-toxic bamboo toothbrushes. Christina came up with the idea as part of an assignment while she was a Global Studies major at UCSB. Today her toothbrushes are sold at Whole Foods, Amazon, Thrive Market, as well as 300 other stores across 23 states.
• Education - Living Room
1:00pm - 2:00pm
• Keynote speaker - Alumni Hall
“The Path to Peet’s” - Eric Lauterbach ‘89 - President, Consumer Division, Peet’s Coffee
• Go behind the scenes of Peet’s Coffee, as Eric Lauterbach shares what sets Peet’s apart in the premium coffee space. You’ll hear about Eric’s path to Peet’s, from large corporations like P&G and Clorox with 4 failed start-ups along the way. We’ll wrap up the Gaucho Professionals Showcase with stories of success and failure, passion for your product, and of course, free Peet’s!
• Eric Lauterbach holds a BA in Political Science from UCSB, where he was the President of Sigma Phi Epsilon and an MBA from Pepperdine. He joined Peet's Coffee in 2010 after progressing through various sales and marketing roles at large corporations as well as working for a handful of early state eCommerce startups. His favorite Peet's drink is a cup of Guatemala San Sebastian.